Sunday, August 5, 2012

Primitiva Ontong: Prayer is powerful

Good News!  3rd district Rep. Arthur Yap was spotted at Ilijah Retreat House of Immaculate Heart of Mary Seminary in barangay Taloto, Tagbilaran City. It was learned that Rep. Yap turned-over the check worth 500,000 pesos to Bishop Leonardo Medroso for the rehabilitation of the roof on Saint Peter the Apostle Parish Church in Loboc.  Also spotted were Fr. Andy Ayco and Fr. Felix Silagan.
Rep. Arthur Yap turns-over the check to Bishop Leonardo Medroso for the rehabilitation of Loboc Church. Also in photo are Fr. Felix Silagan and Fr. Andy Ayco.
The seed money is from Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile’s personal fund to be used solely for the repair of the roofing of the Loboc Church.
Sen. Enrile asked Rep. Yap of any worthy projects he could finance for the 3rd district. Rep Yap thought of beautifying the Loboc Church which is a national historical monument and a tourist attraction. Senator Enrile's son, Cagayan Rep. Jack Enrile, who is eyeing a Senate seat in 2013, also helped follow up the release of the check.
Aside from the P500-thousand for the repair of the Loboc Church roof, Rep. Yap and Senator Enrile are now working on the inclusion of about P200-P250 million in the national budget for the rehabilitation of the whole Loboc church. At 374 years old, the Loboc Church has showing its age.
Bishop Medroso was touched by the generosity of the donation facilitated by Rep. Yap.
On the other hand, the town of Loboc might get bigger firetrucks from Japanese donors tapped by Rep. Yap in an effort to ensure all towns in the 3rd district are well-equipped in times of emergencies.
Rep. Yap explained that he would facilitate requests for assistance from any mayor for that matter, not only Mayor Leon Calipusan of Loboc. Rep. Yap said he is very willing to be of help to any mayor who needs assistance, whose town has not received any assistance from DILG and PCSO yet, and Rep. Yap is now facilitating acquisition of firetrucks and ambulances from Japanese donors.
***
The Coolest Capitol Figure. For many years, as a cashier, financial adviser on financial matters during the time of then governor now second district Rep. Erico Aumentado and now assistant provincial treasurer of the provincial government of Bohol, Primitiva Jamodiong-Ontong, still perfectly fits that enduring title (if you haven’t noticed, she has amazing hairstyles most of the time).
Primitiva "Priming"Ontong
Unlike most of her colleagues and contemporaries, Priming, the endearing monicker of Primitiva (“it means ‘native’ but I still love my name”), is retaining that sweet and wholesome aura about her, perhaps because she harbors no frustration nor bitterness in heart. 
Yes, Priming’s being cool is natural and, no, her “sweetness” is not a put-on. Everybody, close friends and complete strangers alike, call her Maam Priming with affection. 
As an assistant provincial treasurer, Priming said that her position is a very challenging job. “I take good care of our money. It’s supervisory but our office has the final say to control the cash.”
Asked how she copes with stress, “I just relax and sleep.”
Living a healthy lifestyle, her diet includes fish, vegetables and fruits. “I have carrot, cucumber and radish juice I drink 30 minutes before breakfast. It’s good for the health! I also drink more than 8 glasses of water every day.”
This much is known to many, Priming is a Marian devotee. She has at least 8 favorite saints and angels. “They are St. Anthony de Padua, St. Jude Thaddeus, St. Benedict, St. Augustine, Sta. Monica, St. Gabriel, St. Michael and St. Rafael.”
Prayer is powerful. Ask Priming. 
“I always pray with joy.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us to 'Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.' I recite 7 Glory Be in honor of the Holy Spirit, 15 Our Father prayer given to St. Bridget of Sweden.  I assist the mass daily as my devotion,” shared Priming. “Before I go to sleep, I pray to thank the Lord. I pray for my family and friends. Before, I go to work, I have to pray to the Holy Spirit for enlightenment and I give five minutes to read Our Daily Bread.”
with members of the God the Father of All Mankind...

There have been many clichés about like-minded people banding together. With the same interests, they reach similar goals faster and enjoy the process, too, because they have each other to share the journey with. So, Priming is joining the God the Father of All Mankind group, started by the Italian nun, mystic, and visionary, Mother Eugenia Elisabetta Ravasio (1907–1990).
Doy Leo, God the Father told Mother Eugenia that ‘All those who call Me by the name of the Father, even if only once, will not perish, but will be sure of their eternal life among the chosen ones.’”
Incidentally, Catholics mark the first Sunday of August every year as the feast and day of consecration to God, the Father of All Mankind. Sunday is the last day of the traditional octave or eight days of prayer and daily consecration to the Father of All Mankind, that began last July 31.
A concelebrated Mass will be held at the Cogon Shrine during the consecration and feast of God the Father of All Mankind on Aug. 5 at 9:30 a.m. Activities leading to the feast will include octave prayer at 7 a.m., followed by a Holy Mass. All devotees are invited to attend. 
To know more about Priming, Bared asked her to complete some questions: 
I hate people…who are matapobre, one who looks down on poor people.
I avoid people….  who are gossip mongers. Kana jud Doy Leo mga tsimosa, intrigera, they spread fire!
My greatest pleasure is…entertaining clients with a genuine smile. I am happy to help other people especially the poor.
My worst moment is…when I was rushed to the hospital after experiencing breathing difficulties.
My biggest fear is…I commit mistakes and I am not able to ask Jesus to forgive me for all my sins and I will go to hell! Knock on the wood, palayo lang jud
I pray for…good health and happiness for myself and for the people that I love. I also pray for the salvation of all souls in purgatory so that they can go to Heaven. 
The most important person in my life is....my husband! I love him. 
If I were to be reincarnated as an animal I would be… a sheep. It symbolizes innocence and loyalty. It is also a symbol of  simple goodness we bring to life when we have the desire and affection to do good for others and to be good ourselves.
My most traumatic experience was... I had a car accident. The car just skid off the side of a cliff. That time, I had my five year-old daughter with me. I thanked the Lord because we were safe!
I deal with gossip by…first, I avoid gossip, then by praying to God for strength. Doy Leo, gossip can create an unpleasant atmosphere at work. So, I don’t like tsismis while working. 
Am I afraid of growing old?...I don’t afraid to grow old. I thank the Lord for the gift of life. Pero naa gud beauty secrets pud.(Laughs) 
My favorite memory verse is....John 15:7. It says, “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for.”
My most memorable miracle was…about my daughter who is a CPA. She was hired to work in Singapore but was denied entry at the Singapore Immigration. My daughter texted me to pray for her while she was also asking the Lord to change the mind of the immigration officer. At that very moment, after praying, the Immigration officer granted her entry. My daughter is still working at the Royal Bank of Scotland in Singapore. 
I lose my temper when...Doy Leo, masuko ko pag-ayo pero mawala ra dayon kung makapray ko. 
I am happiest when...I can help other people. 
I am saddest when....I see trouble in the office. 
My ultimate goal is...to be with God in heaven. 
What I like about myself… My heart beats for the poor people.
What I don’t like about myself….I am a worrier. Dali ra ko maguol, usahay emotional. When I started to worry, I pray to the Lord. It creates internal balance and stability. 
Face-to-face with God, I’d tell Him…Thank You, God and I love You.
***
Thanks for your letters, all will be answered. Comments welcome at leoudtohan@yahoo.com, follow leoudtohan at Twitter /Facebook.

No comments: