Sunday, December 1, 2013

Haiyan aftermath

In Leyte, Philippimes
After supertyphoon Yolanda (Haiyan) hit the Visayas, the following day I was in Tacloban City.

I was among the first journalists to see the catastrophe in Leyte on Saturday.

The place was in massive destruction.

Many houses were completely devastated.

Every tree was flattened, electricity post was snapped in half.

I saw dead bodies in the towns of Tanaoan, Tolosa and Palo and in Tacloban City. Many of the dead whose bodies line the streets or float in flooded areas are children.

There's no clean water, no electricity and very little food. Many people have not eaten for many days because there were no relief goods from the government. And they are still very hungry that they looted many things from malls, business establishments and houses.

People from neighboring towns (MacArthur, Dulag, Tolosa, Tanaoan, Palo) are going to Tacloban City to look for food and water.

In barangay 37 where the Tacloban Fish Port was located, I chanced to see businessman Engr. Wilhelm Go of Wilhelm Construction who was busy manning and clearing the fish port area. I learned that he constructed the fish port, the only building which remains after Yolanda, with no cracks and damages.

Asked why his fish port was strong to fight the horrific water surges, he said, "I don't compromise the quality of my work. No substandard!"

Now, the fish port houses more than 3,000 evacuees from other barangays.

When I was interviewed by CNN International how can  I described the situation in Leyte, I blatantly told them, "The situation is grim." (See CNN IReport here)
Last night, I received a text message from Nekolo Gonzales of Trinidad, Bohol (and I thought worth sharing): "At the end of the day, Filipinos will just shake off the dirt from their clothes, go about their  business and smile. They do not complain much and they will bear as long as they can. Maybe this is why they were given the 'privilege' of bearing  the burden of the strongest typhoon ever recorded.  The indomitable human spirit  at its finest."

Indeed, very true!

No comments: