Monday, July 25, 2011

Will Tracy Torres’ bet be the 30th Miss Bohol?

Will Tracy Torres’ bet be the 30th Miss Bohol?

Wake-uppers:

Scene: The Boholanos in Luzon (particularly in Metro Manila) are getting excited for the July activities in Bohol. From Atty. Julius Gregory “Greg” Delgado, president of the Association of Young Boholanos in Metro Manila, Inc. (AYBM): his coming July, the Association of Young Boholanos in Metro Manila, Inc. will have two major events in Bohol. First, is Dagan para sa Pamilacan: Trail Run for a Cause to be held on July 24, 5 a.m. at the Baluarte Complex, Baclayon. Second is the most-awaited return of Bohol's most illustrious disciple of the arts, Mr. Sam Penaso from Guindulman in “Sam Penaso: The Homecoming – An Art Exhibition for a Cause” which is Sam’s first exhibit in his beloved province. Sam is one if not the greatest painter Bohol ever had. After his solo and group exhibits in Europe, America and Asia, Sam Penaso and his obra maesta will be finally home. The public can view Sam’s art works from July 23-24, 2011 beside the National Bookstore of the Island City Mall.


Scene: An explosive event will happen on July 16 as the head master and eventologist Mizken Tirol Andan will celebrate the 8th year of his Runway Icons with a red carpet event at Atmospheres of the Metro Centre Hotel. The event, which will start at 9 p.m., will feature the fun wear designs of Cebu guest designer Peewee Senining and professional models of Runway Icons. And more to the exciting eyes is the appearance of popular model Andrew Wolf! Interesting! Interesting!

Scene: More than 30 staff members of The Penmasters’ of the University of Bohol Day High School Department participated in a seminar-workshop on campus journalism held July 9 at the IMC. Jheinena Cimafranca-Clarin is the school paper adviser.

***

Every time the Miss Bohol Sandugo season comes around, they always say that the current batch is the best. But this year, confirmed by beauty watchers “this year is the best, best batch” so the judges will have a hard time choosing Bohol’s finest lady and ambassador of goodwill from the 19 candidates (Miss Sagbayan and Miss Talibon quit the pageant last week and the Miss Bohol Sandugo committee accepted three additional candidates: Miss Albur, Miss BISU and Miss Tagbilaram City square).

Next Saturday, July 16, the 30th Miss Bohol Sandugo will be chosen at the Bohol Cultural Center and beauty-watchers from all Bohol and around the world (where are there Boholanos) are hoping that their bets will bring home the crown.

So far, the candidates continue to hold the public interest especially on Miss Bohol Sandugo (non-profit organization) fan page on Facebook. “It’s overwhelming to see the greetings and words of encouragement from the fans,” said a beauty-watcher and Facebook user. Jameshayne Salvani Obedencio posted: “Oh my God, I can see an angel. If somebody wants to see an angel, Jade represents the angels on the earth. Wow! Wow! Wow!” Another fan, Jhoey Jo Arana said, “Miss Bohol Sandugo candidates rock the fire... rock the crowdddddd....be the best.”

If Miss Sagbayan and Miss Talibon quit because of “personal problems with their handler” and “lack of financial support from the municipalities”, Stela Florence Rosarah Coronica (who didn’t get financial support from the municipality of Panglao) didn’t lose hope. Thank heavens for Tracy Remolador Torres who came to “rescue” her. Stela is now representing “Tracy Remolador Torres Couturier.”

“She has a good fighting chance,” according to Tracy, one of ”Bohol’s most powerful bading” and a popular make-up artist and hairstylist, who is taking care of Stela. “So far, she’s doing very well.”

Stela, who was born on October 7, 1987, stands 5'6", 99.87 lbs, and with vital statistics of 31-24-32, became Holy Name University- Miss Education 2006 and Miss Alona 2007 2nd runner up.

“That was four years ago and I am excited for this Miss Bohol Sandugo pageant!” gushed Stela in an exclusive interview with Bared.

The beauty queen is also a licensed teacher. In fact, tomorrow, she will be teaching at Panglao Central East Elementary School. “I will be handling grade four pupils,” said Stela.

What are her preparations for the pageant? “I read a lot of books for me to get more ideas about our society at this moment. And aside from that, I make sure that I take enough rest for me to stay healthy of course. I admit that there's a lot of pressure for joining this event, but I'm trying my best to stay cool and just enjoy this one,” said Stela who is beauty and brains combined.

What kind of diet does she have? “Well, just the regular diet I usually have. No changes at all.”

How much sleep do you get per night? “I make sure I have at least 7 hours of sleep per night. I also take siesta!”

What part of your body do you think needs improvement? “I love everything about me. And if there's something to be improved, that would be how I carry myself in a more confident way.”

And what part is your favorite? “My eyes. They are the windows to our soul. I love it because they can readily show my deepest emotions whether I'm happy, sad, afraid and the like.”

Young people today are liberated and adventurous, willing to try everything. What's your stand on pre-marital sex? “I'm not into PMS. This would not answer the curiosity of young people these days. I always believe that there is a right time for everything and I would not forsake my faith in God just because I'm curious of something inevitable.”

And what is your stand on the Reproductive Health Bill? “This is the most controversial issue nowadays, however, I believe that this is not the solution to our national concern on poverty. There are still a lot more ways to improve our country's economic standing, and one of that is to change the priorities in our government system. Aside from that, if I were to support this bill, it’s like I didn't want to see my younger siblings. We are ten in the family and I am happy that I have them. We'll strive hard just to ensure that all of us can finish college.”


Why do you think education is important? “It is the only treasure that can't be taken away from us and it is as well our only avenue to survive in this world which is full of change and uncertainty.”

If you were somebody else, who would you like to be and why? “If I were somebody else, I want to be Carrie Underwood. It is because I really idolize her and I love her songs which are really inspirational.”

What are your beauty secrets? “I take enough sleep, and aside from that I make sure that I smile rather than frown. This will keep all the wrinkles away!”

Nightlife? “Not in a regular basis. Sometimes I go out with my friends but I think it happens once a month only.”

What is your greatest inspiration? “My greatest inspiration in life is my family. They are the best that I have and I would like to do everything to make them happy and be proud of me.”

If you were to change something in yourself, what would it be? “I would not change something in me because I am satisfied with what I have. If there is something changed, that would not be Stela Coronica at all.”

What is your favorite quote? " A person's best asset is not just the brain full of knowledge, but a heart full of love with an ear open to listen and a hand willing to help. Because if your heart is full of love, all your five senses will follow.”

How's your love life? “I have a colorful lovelife.”

What do you find sexy in a man? “His eyes and smile.”

What qualities do you want in a man? “I really like a man who has sense of humor, but of course, there's nothing more important than being true to himself.”

And what turns you off? “Being superficial and untrue.”

Last thing that you do before you go to sleep? “I pray.”

First thing that you do when you wake-up? “Check my Phone.”

Stela is a member of a choir who sing during Sundays at St. Augustine Church in Panglao. She knows how to play the guitar, too.

Her mom, Josefina, passed away due to breast cancer. “My mother is my role model. She has been my inspiration ever since I was young and I am proud of what I have become because of her.” She has nine siblings. “Since I am the eldest, I help my father (Celso) to look after her younger siblings.”

She has also a knack for stealing scenes without being a show-off, such as when she joined beauty pageants before.

To end our conversations, I asked Stela to give me a sample of her queenly walk. She stood out with her “cat walk” and fair skinned charm with her hair collected in a bun.

“The smile never left her face. She is a beauty queen,” observed Tracy.

Will Stela join the Miss Bohol Honor Roll?

***

Here is an Honor Roll of Misses Bohol Sandugo:

Although there were beauty pageants held before (Miss Bohol in1955-1988 and Miss Bohol Fiesta Islands in 1989), it was only in 1995 that Miss Bohol Sandugo pageant was held. Paula Raagas Valles of Maribojoc won the first Miss Bohol Sandugo crown.

Paula Raagas Valles, 1955 (Maribojoc); Olivia Solis Cabrera, 1956 (Calape); Delia Canda dela Serna, 1962 (Maribojoc); Theoprolia Clarin Parras, 1968 (Sevilla); Geraldine Galang, 1976 (Carmen); Reza Cabagnot, 1977 (Tagbilaran City); Rachelle Oculam, 1982 (Lila); Marcel Gatal, 1983 (Tagbilaran City); Gemma Manding, 1986 (Tagbilaran City); Elizabeth Mumar Añana, 1988 (Guindulman); Winnie Moreno Lim, 1989 (Tagbilaran City); Tiffany Yap, 1990 (Jagna); Recelle Adlaon, 1991 (Jagna); Celevel Ranoco, 1992 (Jagna); Mary Ann Eronico, 1993 (Talibon); Vanessa Joyce Evardone, 1994 (Tagbilaran City); Irah Noemi Naron, 1995 (Baclayon); Lianne Reyes Canoy, 1996 (Maribojoc); Socorro D’ Marie Tallo Inting, 1997 (Tagbilaran City); Josely Yap Ferniz, 1998 (Bilar); Maria Niña Cubillo, 1999 (A.B.E.N.A.) replaced by Jennifer Ejoc (Catigbian); Mellanie Angelina Wallace, 2000 (Calape); Jeany Justiniane, 2001 (Valencia); Cherry Mae Bacarro, 2002 (Dimiao); Fatima Liora Lloren Rana, 2003 (Jagna); Rhiz Novah Arenas, 2004 (Inabanga); Anna Maris Igpit, 2005 (Panglao); Joy Marie Maglajos, 2005 (Catigbian); Daisy Jean Quilicot, 2009 (Tagbilaran City); and Amir Paraguya Sol, 2010 (Tubigon).

***

Email leoudtohan@yahoo.com.

No comments: