Sunday, February 12, 2012

Their favorite pick-up lines for Valentine’s

Wake-uppers:
Seen: Tessie Labunog-Sumampong (of Loboc Riverwatch) and her family are spotted in the US. “They are having a great time here in California. Next week, they will visit New York,” says the US-based VRS. “The other day, Tessie and hubby Libby, Hazel Marie Labunog, Miguel and Melecia Labunog visited the Napa Valley, home of the finest wines in the world,” adds VRS. A website says on Napa Valley, “Breathtaking views abound at every turn – mustard in the late winter, picturesque rolling hills planted with vineyards year-round and wineries of every stature dot the landscape.”

Mira
Scene: Condolence to the family of Mrs. Asuncion “Asun” Mira, trustee and treasurer of the University of Bohol (UB). Maam Asun passed away on Feb. 9. “You will surely be missed Maam Asun. You have helped a lot of people and touched a lot of hearts and lives. You are certainly loved by many. That place will never be the same again. Your kindness, generosity, sweet words, listening and caring heart, compassion and many more good things about you, will always be remembered and kept in our hearts. You’re ever so understanding and considerate to others' needs. God will surely reward you for all these. We love you Maam Asun!” says Leah Tirol-Magno, UB Registrar, on Facebook.

Scene: A magnitude 6.9 quake rocked the provinces of Negros Oriental and Cebu that left a number of residents dead and many others missing. The strong earthquake was also felt in Bohol on Feb. 6, 2012. Memorable earthquakes that hit Bohol: May 27, 1996 (5.6 magnitude) and January 8, 2009 (6.8 magnitude). The earthquake on February 8, 1990 (magnitude 6.8 at 3:15 pm) was the worst- six people died, 200 were injured and 7,000 were homeless. Phivocs reports that Six fatalities were reported and more than 200 were injured in the event. About 46,000 people were displaced by the event and at least 7,000 among them were rendered homeless. Estimated damage to properties is amounting to 154 million pesos.

***

 
         
Couple Tessie and Libby Sumampong of the famous Loboc Riverwatch are in the US for a vacation. Photos show Tessie and Libby at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge…and with their family at the Napa Valley wine country.



Let’s start this Valentine’s Day with a little story (told to me by my nephew YakYak who read it on Facebook):

“A Letter from Mom and Dad”

My child,

When I get old, I hope you understand and have patience with me. In case I break the plate, or spill soup on the table because I’m losing my eyesight, I hope you don’t yell at me. Older people are sensitive, always having self pity when you yell. When my hearing gets worse and I can’t hear what you’re saying, I hope you don’t call me ‘Deaf!’ Please repeat what you said or write it down. I’m sorry, my child. I’m getting older.

When my knees get weaker, I hope you have the patience to help me get up. Like how I used to help you while you were little, learning how to walk.

Please bear with me, when I keep repeating myself like a broken record, I hope you just keep listening to me.

Please don’t make fun of me, or get sick of listening to me. Do you remember when you were little and you wanted a balloon? You repeated yourself over and over until you get what you wanted.

Please also pardon my smell. I smell like an old person. Please don’t force me to shower. My body is weak. Old people get sick easily when they’re cold. I hope I don’t gross you out.

Do you remember when you were little? I used to chase you around because you didn’t want to shower.
I hope you can be patient with me when I’m always cranky. It’s all part of getting old. You’ll understand when you’re older.

And if you have spare time, I hope we can talk even for a few minutes. I’m always all by myself all the time, and have no one to talk to. I know you’re busy with work.

Even if you’re not interested in my stories, please have time for me. Do you remember when you were little? I used to listen to your stories about your teddy bear. When the time comes, 'n I get ill 'n bedridden, I hope you have the patience to take care of me. I’m sorry if I accidentally wet the bed or make a mess.

I hope you have the patience to take care of me during the last few moments of my life. I’m not going to last much longer, anyway. When the time of my death comes, I hope you hold my hand and give me strength to face death.

And don’t worry… When I finally meet our Creator, I will whisper in His ear to bless you. Because you loved your Mom and Dad. Thank you so much for your care. We love you!

And here’s another love story:

The tale of a 70-year-old Chinese man who hand-carved over 6,000 stairs up a mountain for his 80-year-old wife has moved millions of people in 2006. The man passed away in the cave, which has been the couple's home for the last 50 years.

The story began half a century ago when 20-year-old Liu Guojiang fell in love with widowed mother Xu Chaoqing. In a twist worthy of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, friends and relatives criticized the relationship because of the age difference and the fact that Xu already had children. Desperate to escape market gossip and the scorn of their communities, the pair eloped to live in a cave in Jiangjin County in southwest China's Chongqing municipality.

At the beginning, life was harsh and Xu felt that she had tied Liu down and repeatedly asked him, "Are you regretful?"

Liu always replied, "As long as we are industrious, life will improve."

Liu and his wife were not present at the award ceremony due to their age, but their son, Liu Mingsheng, came with a kerosene lamp that his father had made from an ink bottle.

"My parents have lived in seclusion for more than 50 years because of their love for each other. They had no electricity and my father made kerosene lamps to lighten our lives," he said.

"My mother seldom goes down the mountain, but my father cut the 6,000-plus stairs for her convenience," Liu said. "It's a ladder of love."

Touching, isn’t it?

I’m sure you have your own “Valentine” stories. I have my own.

When I was in elementary, our grade four teacher Mrs. Magdalena S. Cespon taught us Valentine’s songs during break. I don’t know if how many of you have heard these songs and I wonder if my classmates in grade school (at Booy South Elem. School) can still remember or sing these songs:

"Mother's Valentine's Song"

Dearest child believe me you are truly my friend;
So today with gladness to you will I spend,
just a kind of friendship from this heart of mine that will tell you in words you are my Valentine.
This well it says, mother's heart is true and never will change the love she gives you.

Ako’y nagtanim ng laguerta sa puso,
Puso ang tinamnan puso ang tumubo
Puso ang namunga ibinunga’y puso
Puso ang kumitil kinitil ay puso.

Nguni’t ang puso ng magulang
Ang s’yang tunay na pagmamahal.

***
Love is a many-splendored thing!

Love will find a way.

Love conquers all.

Love makes the world go round.

Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly.
Love is patient and kind.

Love can move mountains.

Di porket lumindol, end of the world na kaagad? Di ba pwedeng kinikilig lang ang mundo dahil malapit na ang Valentine's Day?

Want to hear some of the pick-up lines?

Trisha Chatto: Bakit kasi ang likut-likot mo? Iyan tuloy, natabig mo na nga puso ko, nahulog pa sa ‘yo.

Mayor Bertsal Salinas: Saging ka ba? Kasi para kong nadarama ang puso mo.

Leah Tirol-Magno: You are making me think. I may give you more than one. First: Ballpen ka ba? Kasi, di ko na matuloy maisulat ang estorya ng buhay ko kapag wala ka. Second: Asin ka ba? Kasi, walang lasa ang buhay ko pag wala ka!

Benjie Oliva: Boy: Bilangguan ka ba? Girl: Bakit? Boy: Kasi gusto kong ikulong mo ang puso ko sa iyo habang buhay!

Atty. Greg Delgado: “Sana keyboard nalang tayo para magkatabi ang U and I” and “Chief Justice ka ba? Hindi ko kasi maimpeach-impeach sa puso ko.”

Dodong Almedilla: I have none of my own, diha koy nadunggan: Lalaki: Menteryo ka ba? Babae: Bakit? Lalaki: Kasi patay na patay ako sa iyo.

Ryan Sines: Postiso ka va? Bakit? Coz I can’t smile without you.

Aida Tanghal: Ako ang cancer mo ug muabot sa imong life, din a mawagtang.

Fatima Mapesos: Musika ka ba? Dahil kulang ang araw ko pag di kita mahagilap at marinig tulad ng isang musika.

Emerson Pinos: Crayon ka ba? Kulayan mo nga ang buhay ko!

Marianne Chatto: Heart valve ka ba? Bakit? Laman ka ng puso ko!” and “Handa akong takbuhin ang mundo mo basta ang finish line sa puso mo.”

Karen Batuhinay: Pag-ibig Fund ka ba? Mo-loan unta kog lovelife nimo.

JunJun Karaan: Nurse ka ba? Bakit? Eh, kasi parang gusto kong mag-hire ng private nurse para magcare ng puso ko.

Tracy Torres: Hindi ko akalain pati ako natamaan sa economic crisis dahil pati ako nagmahal na rin. Coke ka ba? Everyday kasi ako happy.

Raul Gatal: Keyboard ka ba? Kasi type na type kita.

Joven Menorias: Kuto ka ba? Mag-hapon ka kasi nasa ulo ko.

Sam Pingkian: Ampalaya ka ba? Kasi kahit anong pait ang nararanasan ko sa iyo ikaw pa rin ang sustansya ng buhay ko.

Reigh Monreal: Lubi ka? Ganahan man gud kang pakudkod. Kudkod as in kugos or sapnay sa bukton.

Jea Dano: Asa ka? Dalha nalang ni akong heart beh.. hago kayo sige pangita nimo.

Bon Ryan Bongato:  It’s not the earthquake that shook me- it’s you who rocks my world.

Ariel Fullido: Ikaw ang susi ng puso ko! Bisan og matay-an na walay duplicate ikapuli kanimo.

Morres Sarabia: Relo ka ba? Bakit? Anong oras na? Boom!

Dorris Dinorog-Obena: Susi ka ba? Bakit? Nabuksan mo kasi ang nakalock kong pag-ibig.

Ariel Llanos: Sana exam ka! Bakit? Kasi para nasa isipan kita palagi.

Glenn Blasquez: I.D. ka ba? Bakit? Kasi kung sakaling mawala ka, alam nilang akin ka.



***
Thanks for your letters, all will be answered. Comments welcome at leoudtohan@yahoo.com, follow leoudtohan at Twitter or email at Facebook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love you ...